Monday, February 7, 2011

Raising More Than Funds

As I go through the week I try to find things speak to me as lessons that may speak to others, especially my youth. I can honestly say that my heart was filled with inspiration at our Yardsale this weekend. The purpose of our yardsale was of course to raise money for our trip to Colorado in July, but as the day went on, and came close to the end, I found out that we were there for a much greater purpose.

Of course, we did raise a substantial amount of money for our trip, but we also had plenty of fun and came a lot closer to each other working for a common purpose. Now first I will go ahead and give the scripture, and then I will give the story that inspired me. The scripture is from Matthew 25: 34 – 40.

34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
As the end of the sale came we were selling bags for a dollar. We handed people a Kroger bag, they filled it up, we charged them a dollar. A couple came in and we told them the deal. The husband immediately ran to a set of dishes we had with huge excitement in his eyes. He began filling the bag and asked if they could have a couple more bags to fill. As we obliged he began to tell us that their house had just burned down. They had a place to stay and people had given them things, which he was appreciative of, but they didn’t have anything that matched. He just kept saying how “pretty” the plates were. He filled up a few boxes with carpets, rugs, clothes, and dishes. They were very thankful and paid us a few dollars. We told them they gave us more than enough and we helped them load their car.

Now, they took quite a bit of stuff, and didn’t pay much for it, but in my opinion they gave us more than they needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment