Monday, February 7, 2011

A quick thought on spite...

In today’s lesson I am going to use a group of verses from Matthew Chapter 5. Verses 43 – 48 are verses that as of the past few weeks I have been surrounded by a lot of anger an d spitefulness and these verses have taught me more about it and really helped me deal with it all much better. First up lets go ahead and read the verses.
43“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighborh and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you: Love your enemiesi and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Now in reading this the big ones that stand out are verses 46 and 47, they are the meat of this that really drives the point home. We will all run into people that are spiteful and people that cause jus and those we care for harm, whether it be physically, emotionally, etc. The hard part is not turning into a person just as bad as they are. You have to be the person to turn around and love the person that hates you. This is in my opinion, the hardest part of the Christian faith. It’s something that I struggle with myself, especially in all of the spite that I have seen over the last few weeks. What is it that we can really do to accomplish this not only with ourselves but what can we do to inspire this in others?

No comments:

Post a Comment